sweetpeasoup

sweetpeasoup

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Dream of my Father

I had a dream of my father.
We were standing on a beach.
I knew he was dead, and I knew I must be dreaming
But I could see him right there in front of me.
I said, "Dad, how are you here?"
and he smiled and hugged me,
he didn't speak but in my head I heard him
say my name.
He held me close and we flew straight up into the sky.
I looked down and I could see the beach
and the water and seagulls and clouds beneath me.
I was scared then, I said,
"Dad, be careful! We're going to fall!"
But without speaking my father told me we wouldn't fall,
that we could fly now.
And I remembered that I was dreaming then,
and I realized I could fly.
 Right then I knew that even though I was dreaming, my father really was there.
I started to try to speak to him for real.
I said, "I miss you," over and over
until I woke myself muttering in my sleep.

In my dream, my father did let go of me,
and I fell. But I floated like a leaf on the wind
and landed in the tall grass on the beach.

No comments: