sweetpeasoup

sweetpeasoup

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

excerpt from Sliders


My mother used to tell me I was a slider. Street light interference. She meant it as a joke, we all know street lights are energy-savers. They go out and come back up periodically to save power. But sometimes it was funny, like everytime we’d drive under a streetlight it would go out or come back on suddenly. And we’d laugh. My mom said that’s always happened to her. She said she never had an electronic device that she didn’t have to return as defective. They’d just stop working around her, she said. They’d fritz out.
She couldn’t use anything with batteries. They would drain in a matter of hours, at best. She couldn’t talk on any kind of cordless or cellular phone. I’ve always been the same way. Technology just does not function around me. Things malfunction, in fact. Things crash and die.

No comments: